Tracking your symptoms when you have a chronic illness can be extremely helpful to you and your medical team and there are some fantastic FREE apps that make this super easy to do.
Note: I am not being compensated in any way for my opinions and these are all apps I personally use. All photos are copyrighted to the app creators.
This is by far my favorite health related app. It is super comprehensive and entirely free. If you have any sort of digestive related health problems you NEED this app!
Cara is the easiest way to monitor your (digestive) health. Developed by doctors, Cara helps you to understand the connection between your mind, gut, nutrition & wellbeing. Track food, stress, poop and tummy pain with a few taps. Add individual factors to create your own personalized health diary.
CARA HELPS PEOPLE WITH
+ Bowel problems such as acid reflux, dyspepsia, nausea, chronic abdominal pain, bloating
+ Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) such as Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis and microscopic colitis
+ Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) with symptoms such as chronic bloating, tummy pain, constipation and diarrhea
+ Skin problems such as shingles, hives, eczema, psoriasis and rashes
+ Diets such as gluten-free, low FODMAP, fructose-free, histamine-free and lactose-free, clean eating, healthy eating, keto
+ Food intolerances and sensitivities such as dairy, lactose, cow’s milk allergy, fructose, histamine, gluten/wheat
+ Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
+ Leaky gut syndrome & Candida albicans
+ Period/cycle related digestive problems
+ Eating disorders such as anorexia, binge eating & bulimia
You can set up reminders to help you remember to track your food, water, mood, poop (or lack of), related symptoms, headaches, medications, other pain and more. After you’ve collected a few days worth of data you can view charts that correlate your symptoms/food/mood to your bowel movements helping you find triggers that you may be able to eliminate.
This is super helpful for your doctor to because it gives them a “day in the life of you.” It helps them better understand how your digestive illness affects your everyday life allowing them to help you find resources/medications/diets/etc to help on your journey.
Sometimes just tracking these things helps validate my illness even to myself. Especially when you’ve been told there is nothing wrong with you!
If you suffer from migraines (or other types of headaches) you NEED Migraine Buddy. This free app is amazing.
- More than 1.8 million downloads and rated as the #1 Migraine App according to both patients and doctors, with advanced reporting & exports, automatic tracking of weather pressure and sleep!
- Migraine Buddy is an advanced migraine headache diary and tracking app designed with neurologists and data scientists.
- More than a migraine journal, Migraine Buddy will help you quickly record and identify all aspects of an attack, including migraine triggers, symptoms, medications, frequency, duration, pain intensity, location, and other lifestyle factors so users can improve their migraine condition. It will also help you track the impact of your migraine condition on your daily life.
- Migraine Buddy also provides an easy to read summary report for users to send to their doctor, employer, or insurance company, or simply for better personal understanding of their migraines.
- “It’s like a personal doctor who’s always there and whose questions are easy to answer.” – Migraine Buddy user
- Migraine Buddy also features an intelligent sleep diary that allows users to see the correlation between their sleep and migraines via a newly introduced sleep graph.
- You will also be able to track the impact of weather pressure variations on your migraines and can be alerted by a notification of the next 24 hours forecast in your location.
- For chronic and high frequency migraineurs, the Migraine Impact Buddy will help you track on a daily basis your pain, symptoms and the impact of migraines on your life.
This app makes it so easy to track your migraines and symptoms related to them. It also tracks how migraines affect your life – you can select what areas you are missing out on such as family time or work. You can add medications, symptoms, track the weather, what reliefs you tried, triggers, aura, add notes and you can add friends! Or you can add yourself to a nearby group and receive help and support from other migraineurs. You can also view doctors in your area, print out calendars and more. And yes, it’s ALL FREE.
Be sure to turn on notifications (if you’re like me and can’t remember to track when my migraines end!)
I've just recently started using Geo Pain, but it's fantastic in how it's so super specific! If you have chronic pain, you NEED this app!
Chronic pain is incredibly complex. Those who successfully manage it do so by TAKING CONTROL of the health decisions in their life. The pain won’t go away on it’s own, but YOU WILL GET BETTER if you own your care. The best way to do this is to UNDERSTAND YOUR PAIN and help others understand it too.
Imagine going to your doctor or care team with a VISUAL RECORD that shows exactly where you hurt, how much, OVER TIME. Add to it symptoms, triggers, and treatments and your journey becomes a powerful tool for making decisions. Save yourself from the difficulty and frustration of trying to explain your pain over and over.
GeoPain’s CLINICALLY PROVEN interface is the perfect tool for clearly communicating your pain over time. It’s quick, easy, and offers a level of detail not found anywhere else. Since it’s inception, GeoPain could be found in clinical trials and in the hands of chronic pain patients. Every feature has been crafted in direct response to user feedback while being battle tested in clinics, labs, and homes.
Again, tracking your pain and symptoms is the best way to help your doctor help you. The more specific you can be the better and this app does that. It has a 3D body that you can rotate and zoom and “color in” areas of pain and what level pain you are having. You can add treatments, review history and reports on your pain progression helping you take control of your chronic pain. Definitely a must have for anyone with chronic pain of any kind.